Yearly, 2.3 million People die from diseases contracted in the performance of their duties. It’s as if the population of the city of Paris perished for that alone. Do you know the causes of accident at work It is the first step to take appropriate action impede this problem. Find out below how you can ensure safety in your company and reduce the number of accidents at work.
Accidents at work cost billions
According to the International Labor Organization (ILO), 860,000 people suffer some kind of injury every day as a result of an accident at work. These accidents cause direct and indirect costs of up to 2.8 trillion dollars per year worldwide.
That number of deaths it’s also scandalous. With a powerful production chain, China leads the world rankings:
- China (14,924 deaths).
- United States (5,764 deaths).
- Russia (3,090 dead).
- Brazil (2,503 deaths).
Accidents at work can have different causes
In everyday work, the employee is faced with a number of conditions potentially harmful for the health. To keep you safe, your employer’s job is to identify hazards, provide protective equipment, and provide training on safe practices.
In simplified terms, the causes and risks are broken down into five major ones Categories:
- Ergonomic risks: They relate to the execution of manual tasksinvolve intense physical exertion, manual lifting and carrying of loads, inappropriate postures and long working hours.
- Physical risks: They are the physical agents that influence health of workers, such as radiation, noise, vibration, cold, heat, humidity and abnormal pressure.
- Chemical hazards: Are substances that affect the physical and mental health of workers, such as gases, dust, tobacco, mist and other chemical products.
- Biological risks: Are dangerous microorganisms for health, such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites and protozoa.
- Accident risks: they are related For the environmentsuch as uneven or weak floors, unattended machinery and structures, dangerous tools, and inadequate lighting.
Prevention is the key to avoiding accidents
In general, no accident occurs without procedural error, improper use of protective equipment or negligence. This means that the vast majority of workplace accidents can be avoided with preventive measures.
And it’s worth the effort, because the damage is cheaper to prevent than its consequences, which include costs to society such as lost productivity and overwork, along with profound negative impacts on the lives of workers and their families. social security systems.
We’ve made a list of a few simple actions which, if incorporated into the daily routine of your company, can make a difference in preventing accidents at work:
- Avoid moments of inattention and keep them focused employees (this means, for example, regular intervals).
- stimulate the game at favorable times.
- Avoid rushing and appreciate the work well done.
- Solve all doubts and encourage your employees to do so Questions whenever necessary.
- Don’t let your employees work without protection or with unsuitable tools.
- invest in preventing accidents at work: from the ergonomic chair to the new fire protection system.
- Rent if necessary specialized advice to identify all risks related to your business and catalog them according to national standards.
Finally, remember that no task is so urgent or important that it cannot be done safely. If you make this vision a mantra in your company, adopt a combative stance and have little tolerance for deviations from procedures, workplace accidents will be greatly reduced.