To sell on Instagram, you must first have a professional (or corporate) account. You can present yourself to your followers as a reliable brand and have the additional functionalities that the platform offers exclusively for companies.
In this post I will explain you step by step, How to open an Instagram account for your businesshow to configure and edit it from scratch to start your marketing strategy social media in this network. This will help you reach more people and sell more. Take out your pen and join in!
Importance of Instagram for a brand
In Mexico, 100 million people use social networks. At least 75% of them use Instagram. Would you like to have presence and visibility of your company on the Internet? Then you need social networks like Instagram.
As I told you in the post How to open social networks for your business: tips and strategies, Instagram is a very visual network that allows you to share images and videos, tag your products and do it with your online store connect to sell more. In other words, it’s a modern take on a catalog or as an interactive showcase.
On the other hand, you offer your customers a better shopping experience since they have the opportunity to see something they like, know the price immediately and click to buy it directly from your online store.
thanks a Analysis of WeareSocial and Hootsuite, we know that users of social networks use them for an average of 3 hours and 27 minutes a day. During this time, they interact with content from creators and brands. It’s important to use this type of space to publicize your business because it’s a way for social network users to be informed as well.
Differences between a personal and a company Instagram profile
Instagram allows businesses to have a special type of account to promote their business. It offers the following functionalities:
Statistics of your account
This area allows you to review how people are interacting with your publications, allowing you to make better decisions in your social media strategy. You know how many people have viewed your videos, liked content, and shared or saved posts. In addition, you’ll know the best days and times to post content, all based on your account data.
Promotion of your publications
Like on Facebook or Google, you can use Instagram Ads to promote your posts. That is, pay for advertising so your photo or video reaches more people. This way, your reach will be increased and you will get more high-quality followers.
Activation of Instagram Shopping
Instagram Shopping is the star feature I mentioned in the previous section. The store on Instagram that, by linking it to your online store, allows you to sell through this social network. To activate it, you must have a “Business Profile” and enable the “Buy” option in your Instagram business account.
🛒 Top: learn how link Instagram Shopping to your Tiendanube.
How do I change my personal account to a business account on Instagram?
Good news! If you already have a personal account with branded content and a strong following, you don’t have to start from scratch. The easiest way is to switch to a business account or trade account. This allows the transition to happen automatically for the following you already have. Also, you get access to all trading features.
Follow these simple steps to set up your business Instagram:
- In Settings, find “Account” and tap “Switch to work account.”
- Choose the category that best describes your business and select “Business”. Some of the most relevant are: Product/Service, Entrepreneur, Clothing (Brand), Health/Beauty, etc. If none of these match your company’s industry, you can use the category search engine.
- Finally, follow the tips that appear to complete your profile. Now you can proceed with the optimization.
- (Optional) If you have a Facebook account for your business and want to connect it, follow the instructions to do so.
- Enter the information, including email, phone number, or physical address (or all of the above).
- Click Finish”.
To switch your account back to a personal profile from your computer, go to your photo thumbnail in the top right corner and select “Settings” and then click “Switch to personal account”.
To change your corporate account to a personal profile from your mobile phone or smartphone, go to the drop down menu in the top right corner and select “Settings” then “Account”. Go to the bottom of the page and select “Change account type” and then “Switch to personal account”.
There is the Creator Account option, this is for influencers or also known as content creators.
How to open professional Instagram from scratch?
Instagram for mobile or cell phone
- Download and open the Instagram app. Click Sign In.
- Enter your email address and click Next. If you have your company’s Facebook page and want to link to it, click Log in with Facebook.
- Now choose your username and password and complete the information required for your profile.
- Add a profile picture, bio and link to your website.
- Click Finish”.
- Since the account created is personal, you must follow the steps in How do I change my personal account to a business account on Instagram? to make it professional.
Once you’ve changed your personal profile to a business profile, you can optimize that new profile and start selling on Instagram. Remember that the more visitors you bring to your website, the more sales opportunities you have.
instagram for pc
- log in instagram.com from your PC or desktop computer. Click Sign Up to create an account for your business.
- Choose if you want to create the account using email and phone or if you prefer to create it from your Facebook account. If you already have an account and company profile set up on Facebook, it will be easier.
- Choose your username, password and required information such as your date of birth. It’s important that you add your date and not the date your company was founded, as you must be over 13 to open an Instagram account.
- Enter the code you receive via email or mobile phone to verify your account.
- Add a profile photo (e.g. your logo), your company bio and a link to your website.
How to post content on Instagram
To post content on Instagram, you can do it from your phone using the (+) icon that appears in the top right corner. All you have to do is click on this icon to open the option to generate a release from Feed (which is shown on your profile), Story, Reel or Live.
There you can choose to upload a picture from your gallery or take a picture with your phone’s camera.
How do I enable Instagram Shopping?
for Enable Instagram shopping Y Connect Instagram to your online store or a website with a shopping cart, you must meet certain requirements. Check out this and more information about Instagram Shopping in detail in our post How to Sell More with Instagram Shopping.
📢 We bring you forward: One of the requirements for enabling Instagram Shopping is a website with a shopping cart. You cannot connect this social network to a marketplace.
How to create a Selling Page on Instagram
As you may have already noticed, you cannot create a page on Instagram to sell directly on this social network’s platform. However, you can use one Instagram business account to promote your products, retain your customers and generate traffic for your online shop.
The other way is that you create your professional profile, upload your products and agree with your customers to deliver at a location to be agreed against cash payment. Of course, it’s not the ideal method, plus it will take a lot of time and hamper your ability to provide the best customer service, but if your business is just starting out and you don’t have a lot of sales; you can start like this
🛍️ Remember, the most important thing is that you digitize and grow your business at the speed your resources allow you.
If you don’t have a website or online store, Tiendanube might be the best option. Try it free for 30 days, then choose the plan that best suits your business. No coding or design skills required, all you need is photos of your products, an email and your brand name.
Don’t miss the opportunity to increase your sales with the help of social networks and an online store.