Customer success is a method whose main goal is to ensure customer satisfaction and success in using a product or service.
This exercise goes beyond that Customer service, as it is designed to help you get more value from your purchase in the long run.
The concept originated with SaaS companies (software as a service), as tech companies transitioned from offering perpetual licenses to marketing them as subscriptions.
At that moment, executives realized the importance of The customer will really see the value of the product or service. Later, this need was seen not only in the companies that followed a subscription model, but in all types.
This discovery caused companies, regardless of their industry, to seriously question themselves how to ensure the success and loyalty of your customers.
It is currently proven that the fastest growing companies use strategies of customer success. That is why we will explain in this article what this methodology is all about, how to put it into practice and why it can be beneficial for your business.
What is the customer success?
Although often confused with customer service, the customer success can be distinguished by three keywords: information, anticipation etc loyalty.
Customer service is characterized by being the reactive and immediate response to specific problems or difficulties of customers of a product or service. On the contrary, the customer success based on the proactivity.
This methodology proposes using the available data about customers and the target audience to anticipate their needs, problems and concerns.
The goal is to achieve a better understanding of the panorama, a more direct and effective communication and therefore a better experience that leads to satisfied customers who remain loyal to our product.
The difference is that after-sales service is turned on while the sales team customer success it begins to be part of the process before this happens.
It also differs from account managers as the economic benefits part is not usually the priority.
Although a successful strategy customer success will lead to higher revenues for a company, the CS team does not focus on money. His philosophy focuses on The customer’s success is yours too.
advantages of customer success
This type of methodology brings several benefits to all types of businesses, but in general they can be summarized in these three:
- Helps to reduce or eliminate dropouts churn (abandonment rate or customer turnover). Ensuring customer retention is a much easier and cheaper alternative to attracting new customers.
- increase renewals. This is very important as it applies to almost every store .
- increase loyalty and engagement of customers. And a customer who achieves that level of engagement with the brand is likely to become their advocate and promoter.
How do you implement the customer success in your shop?
There are some basic requirements that any company that chooses to engage in this practice must meet. These are:
- A technological solution. That is, software or a tool that allows you to collect, organize, and filter information. The idea is to monitor the activity of the users of the product along with the from there inputs of the CRM (Customer Relationship Management, or what would be Customer Relations Management in Spanish). These systems make it possible to make predictions, create statistics and reports, and add context from the rest of the interactions with customers. Whether you use a CRM or even an Excel dashboard, staying on top of things is very important.
- A strategy. There are as many possible strategies as there are companies. Planning is important customer success is always adapted to the product and the size of the company.
- A work team. The number of representatives required also depends on the size of the company. The team is responsible for converting all collected information into effective solutions.
- A manager. You will be the one who has direct contact with customers, your job is to analyze and understand their needs and focus on their long-term solution.
What are the tasks of the team? customer success?
The responsibilities of the teams customer success They tend to be very broad as they span different departments and people from different backgrounds (support teams, sales reps, account managers, professional services, among others).
In addition, they vary depending on the strategy, the information collected and the decisions of the customer success manager, but some elementary actions are:
- Ensure that the goals of the customer and the company are aligned. An example of this is making sure that the product team creates tools that really meet the needs of the users.
- Ensuring that advertising reaches the right destination. That means making sure the marketing team is attracting the right kind of customers leads.
- Follow the speech of the sales team, track the positioning of the company’s products.
- Intervening in the design and delivery of “education” of customers about the product. Track the entire customer education process on the use and exploitation of what is being sold.
What does a Customer Success Manager?
In addition to leading the team from customer successthe figure of the manager alone is one of the most relevant in this practice.
For many, it’s a role that combines the skills of salespeople and professionals, but their skills and goals go further.
Due to the complexity and variety of his tasks, it is a profile that requires in-depth knowledge of the industry.
A Customer Success Manager got to:
- Participate in all phases. Pass customers through customer journey and support them in all matters (from sales to support).
- Establish direct communication with potential customers and build lasting relationships.
- toast value proposition individually and promptly. He is responsible for advising customers on their purchasing decisions.
- Gain a deep understanding of needs of the goal. You need to become the “voice of the customer” and look after their interests.
- Onboard new customers and track renewals (for subscription models).
- stoke Up-sell or cross-sell.
- Define the goals department and ensure compliance.
- Follow to the projects.
- Collect return message for the product team.
- submit reports Results and suggested solutions.
- Turn customers into ambassadors From the brand.
How to develop a strategy customer success?
Although it differs depending on the type of business in question, there are some aspects that are repeated in all areas. If you want to implement a strategy of customer success For the first time, we will give you some tips to keep in mind:
- Identify your customers’ ultimate goals. You can use some of the tools to do this design thinking like the Empathy Map (a technique that consists of finding out the wants and needs of users through a series of questions).
- Make sure everyone on the team knows their goals in advance and role expectations.
- Create a guide with your company’s goals in terms of short and long term customer success.
- Analyze all results and change if necessary.
- Inform your customers. Answer their questions about the product with training, resources, and tutorials.
- I fostered loyalty. Create loyalty programs and build a community through discounts and promotions.
As you plan your strategy, you can ask yourself questions about customer experience:
- What is the current customer experience with my product? Why are they searching for my product? Why would they stop buying or opt out?
- Like the department customer success could influence or change this experience?
- What content do customers prefer? Which channels do they choose when communicating? What would be the right time to contact or monitor them?
You’ll also find tools to measure customer satisfaction with your current service, such as B. NPS surveys (Net Promoter Score).
Here’s how to apply them customer success at a risk?
Although the customer success emerged in the B2B industry (from shop to shopi.e. the business model in which transactions are conducted between companies) has proven effective over time in various types of business as they all deal with customers.
In general the customer success It serves to improve a company’s sales, increase brand awareness, optimize its cost structure and promote its competitive advantage.
In the case of growing businesses or ventures, it is ideal for build a loyal customer base for the brand.
Another very important aspect of customer success and that can be applied to any business is its didactic function. No matter what area of your business, Teach your customers how best to use your product or service and how it can make their lives easier It’s the first step in building a better experience.
Nowadays we know that developing excellent marketing measures is not enough to attract new customers. Likewise, good customer service is no longer enough to keep old customers.
Therefore it is necessary that customer success, as It’s a strategy that allows you to anticipate the challenges your customers will impose and come up with the most effective solutions.
I make the goals of your customers the goals of your company and promote the growth of your company. And if you still don’t have a website that will help you achieve all your goals, create your own Tiendanube. We give you a 30-day free trial.