There are many platforms where to advertise on the internet, and different ways to do it in each of them. Due to the great growth of advertising on the internet in recent years and especially due to the increased corporate investment In this concept, the number of media dedicated to online advertising has skyrocketed, presently providing us with many and diverse advertising opportunities.
But, How do I know which platform is more profitable? o Which one is more convenient for my type of business? o How can I measure the profitability of my advertising campaign? They are doubts that all of us have when choosing where to advertise on the Internet, but don’t worry, in this article we will examine the different possibilities they offer us and we will detail the advantages and disadvantages of each one of them.
Let’s start by explaining the types of advertising that exist on the Internet:
- Static or fixed advertising: This is the most traditional advertisement. You pay a fixed monthly amount to have a banner or text link in a fixed place on another website, regardless of the visits or conversions it generates.
- Pay Per Impression (PPI): Paying for impressions or page views is very similar to the previous method. The only difference is that we pay by the number of impressions our ad has, so it’s a little more “fair” system.
- Pay Per Click (PPC): Pay-per-click is the most used method today. We only pay for the visits we receive. Obviously the PPC is paid more expensive than a simple impression, but we make sure that the customer visits our website so the conversion to sale is much closer.
- Payment Per Share (PPA): Possibly the best method for advertisers. We only pay a fixed price or commission for each sale made, so the risk of advertising investment is reduced to zero since we only pay when we generate sales, subscribe to our newsletter or achieve the desired goal.
- Sponsored Articles: Due to the proliferation of blogs that currently exists, a new advertising method has emerged, sponsored articles. In it, the blog in question will speak positively about our company or one of our products or services and add some links to their article, so that we supposedly get “recommended” and quality visits to our site. The prices of the sponsored articles range from 10 to 300 euros depending on the quality and authority of the blog or website you are promoting. To make things easier, there are sites like Space Content that make it easy to connect with influencers who publish these types of articles.
Depending on the nature of your business, you may benefit from one method or another, but in general, and as a way to control investments and generate regular growth, I would always recommend PPC, PPA, and in cases where a medium closely related to our industry, sponsored articles.
Having said that, we can already begin to see them the best known and most effective means, platforms or tools where we can advertise on the internet. Let’s start with the most important of them:
By number of users, by ad volume and by its large global reach, Google advertising is the most effective advertising platform and with more power than you can use on the internet today. Adwords generally uses a cost-per-click (CPC or PPC) system, although they allow paying for impressions and, for augmented accounts, also for conversions.
That Adwords ads can be displayed:
- Next to Google search results (on the right edge or in the first positions of the results). They only appear for specific words or search queries that you select as an advertiser. Ads must occupy 4 lines (25 characters in the title, 70 in the body and 35 in the URL).
- On the Google Display Network. This network is made up of a large number of sites that offer their space to insert ads that come from Google Adwords. You can set the topic of your ad so that it only appears on websites that are relevant to your topic.
The advertiser can specify the maximum amount they are willing to pay for each click on a particular word, as not all words are priced the same. An auction system between advertisers is used to determine the position of your ad. If you pay enough for each word and make the target website and your ad relevant, you’ll reach the first position and get more clicks than the others.
Google provides the advertiser with a personal account to track their advertising campaign and to control and manage all of their ads along with spending. It is possible to start an Adwords campaign for free using the welcome coupons of up to €100 that Google offers to its users and collaborating companies.
Since I believe that Google Adwords is the most effective way for most businesses to advertise on the web, we will soon be adding new articles with some tips on account creation, optimization and different ways this powerful yet simple advertising tool offers.
What about the largest social network in the world? well that too Enjoy the most accurate advertising tool there is. Thanks to users’ preferences, personal information and other data that we leave behind when we move Facebookhave managed to create an advertising system that allows us to reach only the desired target group.
In our advertising campaigns we can choose the age, gender, population or even personal tastes of our potential customers and the Facebook system will only show our ads to them without wasting a penny of our budget on people that we find intuitively or we know that they will not be interested in our products or services.
Within Facebook, there are multiple ways to advertise either on the right side of the page, in the feed, and elsewhere through ads that mix text, images, or videos. We can also pay by PPC and PPI.
If you don’t know very well how to run this type of campaign, it’s always a good idea to have one Expert in Facebook advertising to get better results from your campaigns and optimize resources.
Affiliate programs, or the affiliation itself, is a system that I personally really like. Affiliates are websites or blogs that attempt to sell third-party products or services, either through a graphic banner or through their articles. Each time they achieve one of these goals, they earn a predetermined commission.
Affiliate systems are companies like Zanox, Tradedoubler or the Spanish Adjal that group advertisers and affiliates together to make it easier for them to work together. Think of affiliates as a network of salespeople who work for your business and are only paid on a commission basis. For me it is another very good way to choose advertising on the Internet.
Yahoo Search Marketing
This is the advertising system used by “Yahoo!‘ for advertisers. It is a System very similar to Google in all aspects, but it has a very important handicap, at least on Spanish territory, and that is that it is very little used by users compared to the Google search engine or its display network.
With Yahoo Search Marketing we will only be able to achieve 10% of what we would achieve with Google Adwords. It is true that there is less competition and costs can be reduced significantly, but I think that the time spent on managing this type of accounts correctly is not worth the benefit we can get.
Directories of shops or companies, Yellow Pages
There are many directories of companies, blogs, online shops, specific or general, such as Yellow Pages, which allow us to appear in their listings for a monthly or yearly fee. I personally don’t think it’s the best advertising option because these directories are becoming increasingly outdated, and they are rarely frequented by users who prefer to find what they are looking for directly in search engines. In any case, there are industries or services (plumbing, locksmiths, etc.) that are still being sought out in some of these media.
There are also free directories that you can subscribe to, but in general these directories are mainly used to get SEO links (and less and less) since visits from these directories are practically non-existent.
Forums, blogs, newspapers and online magazines
Each can be a world apart, but generally you can advertise directly on these platforms with pay-per-impressions or sponsored articles. Each medium sets its price depending on its status. Of course, advertising in magazines, blogs and forums has a much greater impact if it is thematically similar or the same as ours and is aimed at the same target group.
These are the basic places to advertise on the internet, although there are many more, and often the key to success lies in imagination and creativity in finding the optimal system and developing the best advertising campaign.
Do you know another method of Internet advertising? Have you ever tried any? What is your experience? And what results did you get?