Historically, the most successful companies are those that put their greatest effort into applying strategies full of creativity and innovation.
But in the business world it is common for us to associate the concepts of creativity and innovation as the same, although in reality, both words mean different aspects, which are indeed quite related.
To understand it better, here we will see how they are related, how important they are within an organization for the fulfillment of goals and objectives, how fundamental they are today and their constant transformation, in the face of an increasingly interconnected and consumer society.
Let us begin!
What is creativity?
The first thing we must understand is that creativity is a mental ability that human beings have to imagine and conceptualize new and original ideas, that we can relate to things that already exist and that can mean an improvement or a new and different feature. to those that already exist.
We all have creative potential and that is evidenced when we refer to ourselves as being capable of creating such and such things that are original, expressive, unique and exciting.
- make music,
- to write,
- among others.
What is innovation?
Innovation, on the other hand, is the process through which these new ideas for products, services or processes are gradually, evolutionarily or radically incorporated into our lives to make it easier.
It can also be understood as the natural step towards the evolution of a product to present it in a different way to the public.
It could be applied in the market introduction of:
- new technologies,
- a new product line or segment,
- a new production method,
- or the improvement of an existing product.
What is clear is that creativity and innovation must work together in order to achieve business objectives.
An example that can help you better understand the difference between these two concepts is the company Apple and its renowned CEO, Steve Jobs.
In this case, Jobs represents the creative entity whose capacity for thought allowed him to always go ahead, designing the characteristics of his most emblematic products.
While Apple, the company, represents the innovative part, since it interprets and executes the ideas of its late CEO, creating highly desirable value products for the consumer.
In addition, always trying to raise their efforts to improve the aesthetics, functionality and simplicity of their products, to stand out from the competition.
How to apply the two concepts in entrepreneurship projects and in education?
Our reality is increasingly advanced and demanding, therefore, it means a great challenge for the following generations and their ability to respond to market demands.
That is why it is important for educational systems to implement strategies that focus mainly on improving the skills of young people to think creatively.
Also that they are capable of finding innovative solutions both for existing problems and for the future and, why not, activate their entrepreneurial gene.
Some tips that can be applied at the educational level are:
- think creatively to be able to compete in the current market, led mainly by the influence of digital transformation;
- work on the search for innovative solutions to problems that already exist or that could arise in the future;
- understand the different types of innovation that exist and apply them appropriately according to each case, whether in products or processes.
It is recommended that these tips be applied mainly in basic education for children, since it is much easier to implement creative study plans at primary ages.
But these strategies also apply to entrepreneurship. For those who are entering the commercial or business world with a new project, it is essential to take into account some steps that, as simple as they may seem, require time and concentration:
- Before designing the work plan and putting your ideas into practice, you must define what specific project you want to develop and focus solely on it;
- Once your project to be developed has been defined, you must collect all the necessary information, analyze all the data that will allow you to find the eureka factor (the discovery of a great idea);
- discovered the idea and once its possible implementation has been evaluated, you will have everything ready to start working on the innovative ideas.
Why is the relationship between creativity and innovation important?
As we have already mentioned in this content, creativity and innovation are two different terms, but together, they refer to the act of bringing new ideas to life.
In an idea that points to a commercial enterprise, it is essential to have both concepts that allow them to better develop their skills, and cause growth and, in this way, progress in the competitive field.
Innovation can be achieved if we apply creative strategies that help not only generate better business ideas, but also develop those ideas through the best processes.
Differences between innovation and creativity
These are the main differences between these two concepts that are often as confused as they are the same:
- being able to think of new ideas and bring them to life is creativity, while executing those creative ideas in practice is innovation;
- creativity is a mental process, while innovation is a productive process;
- there is no way to measure creativity, however, innovation yes;
- no monetary investment is required for creativity. However, to start an innovative process, money is required.
It is well known that the demand for creativity and innovation is increasing in recent times, especially in the world of business and digital media.
They are fundamental concepts to be able to generate valuable content in the market that improves the commercial impact of companies.
For this to work at an institutional level, work teams must constantly work on their creative processes by doing good research, putting trial and error to the test and, above all, having empathy with what they want to create. It is the key to achieving a successful process.
This is all! If you found the information you just read interesting and want to understand more about how innovation has an impact on the consumption of a product and how digital transformation collaborates throughout this process, I invite you to learn more about disruptive innovation.