Giphy is much more than a gif search engine: it represents the change towards an increasingly dynamic and visual communication. In addition, it is full of features that help brands integrate into this change and take advantage of it to have more fluid communication with their audience and increase their engagement.
And what is Giphy, to all these?
Giphy is a GIF search enginewhich works by indexing the most popular GIFs on the Web (it’s kind of like Google, but only for GIFs). All those millions of GIFs are organized for users to easily find and share.
The site also allows you to design your own GIFs. Additionally, it features the work of select GIF-making artists and works with brands to create and promote original GIF content.
GIFs can be shared via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and other social networks. In addition, they can be included in blogs, websites, emails and even Power Point presentations. The sky is the limit!
Why is Giphy important?
Giphy has existed since 2013, the year in which was recognized as Top 100 Website. Three months later she joined Twitter, which skyrocketed her popularity. Today, it continues to grow and is more relevant than ever:
- In 2015, Giphy announced to have 50 million monthly active users. In 2016, he announced 100 million DAILY active users, catching up with Instagram Stories. In 2017, that number rose to 200 million daily active users, between the API and the website, surpassing the popular Snapchat and Twitter.
- According to Giphy, in 2016 users shared 1 billion GIFs every day. That same year, the platform claimed to upload more than a billion GIFs daily.
- In 2017 GIFs were highly shared via emailsince not all email platforms support video.
Giphy features, tools and features you should know about:
The creator and editor of GIFs
Within Giphy itself you can easily create GIFs from several photos or a video. Also, you can let your imagination run wild, adding text, effects and stickers.
Giphy allows you to share GIFs directly on social networks, copy the URL to paste them wherever you want, download them and even insert them on your website through a code.
In addition to the GIFs that you already know, Giphy offers another type of animated images with a transparent background, called stickers. You can use them to liven up your content and give it a fun touch.
In addition to the GIF creator that you find on the website, Giphy allows you to easily design animated images through different apps:
- Giphy: allows you to find and share GIFs and stickers.
- Giphy World: With this app you can record video from your mobile and put 3D stickers on the images. This app uses augmented reality technology.
- Giphy Cam: allows you to record videos, edit them and convert them to GIF. You can include stickers, filters, texts and other elements. Brands have the possibility of promoting themselves by sponsoring any of these elements. Available for IOS and Android.
- Giphy Capture: allows you to record what happens on your screen and convert it into GIF. It is only available for Mac desktop.
GIF artists and brands can open official channels on Giphy, where they can categorize their GIFs and organize them for easy finding. These channels are opened for free and offer the opportunity to pay to better position your GIFs.
Other possibilities offered by the official Giphy channels are:
- Unlimited GIF uploads
- Channel customization
- Ownership of the GIFs (you get credit for the GIFs you create).
- View counter of all GIFs
- Analytics: you can monitor views of your GIFs over time and measure key performance indicators.
- Verification badge: means that users can easily search and find you on Giphy and on platforms that support it.
It is a kind of in-house agency that advises the brands that require it and offers them the possibility of creating their content. It consists of a team of 28 people and a network of more than 300 GIF artists.
An example of the work of Giphy Studios is this campaign for the NBCin which 19 LED screens were taken from the World Trade Center in New York to promote the Superstore program:
How can brands take advantage of Giphy?
- open an official channel to take advantage of all its advantages. Fill in all the information and write a good description of your business and how it can help people.
- Use hashtags well These work in a similar way to Twitter and have the same objective as keywords, since they help find GIFs but also classify them into categories. These also help the platform to identify current trends.
- Trending GIFs rank better. so you should be aware of those trends and create related GIFs so that your audience finds them easier.
- Giphy content is also positioned on Google. Take advantage of the traffic your GIFs receive to take to your website and social networks. To do this you must include them in your profile.
- Use the “favorites” to save the GIFs that interest you to share later.
- The more GIFs you upload, the more viewed and shared you will be.
One final tip:
Be creative. One possibility is to create themes within your channel, such as the program Saturday night Live, that captures funny GIFs from each episode.
Remember to take advantage of trends to generate engagement. For example, if the hashtag “Friday” is trending, a beer brand could share GIFs related to this theme.
If you have already used Giphy, I invite you to share your experiences and good practices with us. If not, I hope this article helps you get started.