But how is it different from traditional marketing? is better? it is not? Or is it just different? Join me for the next few paragraphs to find out.
Let’s define what each one is about
Traditional Marketing emerged back in the seventeenth century with the invention of the printing press, from actions carried out by people to mass produce and disseminate information. This type of marketing mainly seeks to increase sales through mass communication strategies.
Part of what we know as traditional marketing is experienced in our daily lives, when we see how brands reach us through billboards, press, television and radio.
Digital marketing, for its part, focuses its strategies in a sense of greater relationship with the client. It is based on the Internet as a communication channel, it allows people to reach the company through search engines, in addition to creating interaction with users and their experiences.
The best known forms of digital marketing that we have today are the ads that we see on networks like YoutubeInstagram or Facebookalso when we visit a website and we get a lot of offers related to the product we are looking at and content marketing.
Each of these types of marketing has its advantages. With this I do not intend that you incline in favor of one or the other, but rather that you recognize that each can provide different results. It all depends on your strategy and the approach you want to give it. Let’s see the advantages of each.
- It has an undeniable range power. The number of people reached by television, radio and the press, without a doubt, is its great potential.
- It is totally focused on the product talking about its features and benefits.
- It is independent of the existence of the internet, we can experience it just by going to a shopping center.
- Its reach is growing more and more due to the access that people have to the internet and digital platforms: it is getting bigger and better.
- It is always changing: It is not the same to see the Google page 5 years ago as today, the experience when seeing the ads has improved.
- It focuses on the user of the product or service to be promoted, on getting to know the customer and finding out about their interests and needs.
- The results of your strategies are easy to measure, access to the information gathered is unlimited.
- You can do it yourself without the approval of third parties, just learn how tools like Google Ads or Facebook Ads work.
Although each one has a lot to offer it is important that you recognize how each type will not benefit you, take into account the disadvantages as well to compare them.
- It requires a higher investment. This type of marketing by the level of reach has a high cost. Proof of this are the super bowl commercials in the United States, their figures are around the millions of dollars.
- Its impact is not easy to measure. Once the investment has been made, there is no way to measure its impact on the brand, since it is not possible to automatically access data that allows this study to be carried out.
- It will almost always depend on the approval of third-party companies that are dedicated to mass media advertising. It does not depend only on you but on the approval of more people on your content.
- If your approach is mass advertising, you may not have the results that digital marketing achieves, because this it depends too much on the interaction of users with the digital.
- Requires the use of digital platforms and internet access.
How do they complement each other?
Each type of marketing offers a range of different types of public. If you are thinking of using the two channels, it is important that you know that they act as a complement to your strategy.
For example, if what you want is to increase sales instantly for your business, a fence at the door of your business will suffice, giving an unmissable discount for people who pass by the place. But how about doing it on your website or through social networks, surely the results will improve even more.
If, on the other hand, you do not offer a product or service that is of such massive consumption, digital marketing allows you to meet that person you want to address and, based on data you collect such as location and age, participate with massive advertising to attack this market niche by traditional means.
The importance of each one today
It is no secret to anyone that the Internet has transformed the way we consume information, which is why digital marketing has gained strength and presence in our daily lives.
Television has been replaced by Netflix or YouTube, and radio has given way to Spotify or Deezer. The press has gone to digital versions or each brand has invented its own newsletter.
Traditional Marketing will continue to be important for those who have consumption habits that are not so closely related to online media. You wonder what kind of people are these? People who do not have access to the Internet, or people who have no interest in interactions with digital media.
Digital Marketing will continue to grow as long as digital platforms existthere is no way of knowing how far, but what is certain is that it will be transformed each time to improve the user’s knowledge and their experience with the brand.
Marketing strategies can be carried out through offline or online channels, the important thing is to recognize how you can deliver the message that you consider will be the most valuable for those who are going to know your brand.
If you decided to start with digital marketing strategiessee how you can do it in this e-book that we have prepared for you.