Web usability is becoming one of the most important factors to achieve better SEO positioning. And, in addition, achieve a considerable increase in sales through the website!
Taking web usability into account when designing, developing and optimizing a page not only increases the success of the Internet strategy but also provides a long list of benefits.
Do you want to know what it is, why it is important to implement it on a website, how to improve it, what a usability test means and more? If so, keep reading!
What is web usability?
Web usability refers to the ease of use of a web page or application. In this way, Internet users interact with the site and achieve their goals in a simple, intuitive, pleasant and safe way.
It is one of the fundamental characteristics for users to placidly visit a website and return to it again, thus improving the company’s digital marketing strategy.
Web usability measures three main factors:
- efficiency: the user satisfies the need of his search;
- effectiveness: the user quickly manages to achieve his goal;
- satisfaction: The user felt comfortable browsing the website.
Why is usability important in a web page?
The lack of web usability on a page is the biggest cause of abandonment of these.
In other words, if the information on your website is difficult to find, if it is not easy to achieve the objectives, if there is no scannability, if it is very slow, etc., Internet users will probably close the tab before reading the entire first paragraph.
And remember that if you lose a user, you will probably lose a potential client.
However, web usability provides many benefits to both users and site owners. Among the highlights are:
- manage to get more traffic;
- increases the duration of visits to the page;
- reduces time and costs for the user and the company that owns the website;
- transparent, streamlined and accurate information management is achieved;
- improves visitor experience and satisfaction;
- greater communication and feedback with the Internet user is achieved;
- decreases the bounce rate;
- builds user loyalty, retaining them and getting them to visit the website again;
- makes it easier for visitors to recommend the page, thus generating additional visits;
- increase sales through the website.
8 recommendations to make your website more usable
To improve the usability of your website, it is necessary that it meets the following aspects:
1. Prioritize availability
Make sure that your page is always available and that its hyperlinks and other functions serve their purpose correctly.
2. Don’t forget speed
The loading speed of your website must be fast and smooth.
3. Ensure safety
It is essential that users feel safe when browsing your website.
4. Produce a responsive website
The page must adapt to any device, be it a PC, tablet or smartphone.
5. Deliver simplicity and compactness
- the website must be simple, clean and clear to use;
- all unnecessary information should be eliminated or minimized;
- it is necessary to maintain a consistency in its form;
- the information must be well organized and coherently ranked;
- the typography must be legible and clear;
- do not abuse pop-ups (emerging windows) or animations or other elements that cause distraction;
- the choice of images, videos, etc., must be logical;
- a search bar must be included;
- company contact information needs to be visible at all times;
- make it easier for the user to identify the elements that contain links;
- the website visitor should not feel lost at any time, so the menu should be accessible and visible.
6. Have quality content
Create useful content for your visitors. Also, structure and organize them according to a defined hierarchy for all texts.
The spelling and grammar of your content is also very important.
Remember to add clear titles and that the content fulfills the promise that said title offers.
7. Open an “about us” section
In this way you concentrate relevant information about the company, such as its history, mission and vision, values, etc., and add credibility to your website.
8. Key information on the home page
The home page should help the visitor to quickly and easily find what they are looking for on your site.
Also, add information on the home page both about your company (such as the logo and name) and what you offer, be it sales, content, information, etc. It makes it easier for the user to know who you are and if you will meet their needs when browsing your site.
What does a web usability test consist of?
It is a test that is done to an application or web page in order to determine what the user experience is when browsing a website.
How to do it?
There are several ways to test web usabilitywhich can be using paid tools or made by yourself with users whose personal profile is similar to your buyer persona.
However, The best known way to do a web usability test is to select a minimum of 5 users and assign them specific tasks to do within your page, be it reading content, registering, making a purchase in the virtual store, etc.
Then, ask them to make a recording of the tour and describe everything about your site, its appearance, ease of performing the assigned task, comfort, among others.
To finish, you can give them a questionnaire about what they think is the objective of the company, how they thought the information obtained, the scanability, what are their recommendations for improvement.
Remember to do a SWOT analysis of the suggestions and data you obtained with this test so that you can determine how usable your website is.
Another way to measure the usability of your page is search for experts on the subjectWhat UsabilityTools, among others. These pages analyze your site in a more technical and exact way than the previous one, but with the same principle.
In addition, another very famous tool to achieve this end is the well-known heat map or heatmap. This will help you to know the parts of your website in which users pay more attention.
Do not forget that the main objective of web usability is to use all possible means so that your visitors can find what they are looking for with minimal effort and in the shortest possible time.
Regardless of the purpose of your website or the type of content, browsing it must be a rewarding, positive, fast and satisfactory experience for users.
Are you still in search of knowledge to guarantee the best experience for the Internet user on your website? So, we recommend that you know everything about UX Writing. Do not miss it!