For those technology users who are unfamiliar with digital issues and want to understand the types of software in depth and be able to enter the universe of digital transformation, they are in the right place.
In this post, we will not only talk about the classification of the types of software in a simple and easy to understand way, we will also show examples of these types of computer tools so that your knowledge goes much further.
So when you hear terms like operating system or markup language, you will no longer be speechless.
Let us begin!
Below are the types of software according to the objective it has within the computer system:
It contains each and every one of those programs and utilities that derive from software programming and that fulfill a specific task, in almost any area of daily life, that are used through mobile devices and computers.
Applications are the final product offered to the consumer. but we wanted to start with this one, because that way you will better understand the following ones.
2. Programming software
Through logical knowledge and object-oriented programming language, it is possible to design digital utilities so that they perform various functions, which we discussed in the previous point.
These programs are the base where the code is written to develop new systems within an operating system.
We arrive at the base where the previous two are built. Within the types of software, the system is the most important. It is who allows the user to use the interface of the operating system that is incorporated into the device.
This is made up of a set of programs or native applications that have two purposes:
- manage device physical resources to coordinate tasks and manage memory for device use;
- and, offer a user experience so that you can control and interact with the system.
In a simple way, we can say that the system software is what connects the applications with the hardware resources that the device has.
Now, if you got this far, you already have a general idea of the types of software according to the level of use and responsibility they have within an operating system. But, to give you a deeper understanding, using some examples might help.
WordPress: complete guide to understand the largest content management software in the world
How educational software is revolutionizing learning processes
Learn about the freedoms of the software and how they are reflected in its operation
Examples that fit for each type of software
To better illustrate, we will go the opposite of the previous list.
1. Types of system software
- program loader: part of the operating system that fulfills the function of sending information to the system memory to execute programs;
- operating systems: system that manages hardware resources and offers the possibility of launching applications to the user;
- controllers: programs that allow the operating system to perform interactions between the hardware and the user interface to use the device;
- diagnostic tools: serve to monitor and control the functionality of the physical resources of the device;
- servers: Execution tools used to receive the user’s instructions and perform an action accordingly.
2. Types of programming software
- text editors: they are used to create and manage digital files composed of text. They fulfill the function of reading the file and interpreting the bytes according to the code of the editor;
- compiler: a kind of translator that builds the programming language into a program itself;
- interpreter: basically it is a program that analyzes and transforms information about other programs;
- linker: this takes the initial objects from the build process, discards the unnecessary ones, and links an open source with the internal library and produces an executable file;
- debuggers: program used to “clean” errors from other programs;
- SDI: integrated development environments is an application that provides the programmer with comprehensive services to facilitate software development.
3. Types of application software
- office applications: are all those computer utilities that are designed for office tasks with the aim of optimizing, automating and improving the tasks in this activity;
- databases: collection of digital information in an organized way so that a specialist can access fragments at any time.
- video game: electronic games where one or more people interact with video images through physical controls or body movements;
- business software: it can be said that it is any application that is created to optimize, automate or measure the productivity of any industry or company;
- educational software: all those digital products that aim to teach a specific topic to the user of any level and facilitate the learning process;
- management software: system made up of several tools to be used in tasks related to administration or numerical calculation.
These are the types of software according to their classification. However, there is another point that needs to be explained in order to understand how these products work commercially.
Software license types
- Free software: applications available to be used, copied, modified and distributed by anyone;
- Copyleft: like free software they can be used by anyone but not modified or redistributed;
- GPL: Targets Linux and limits the distribution and integration of this software;
- Debian: free redistribution where the source code must be included and able to be redistributed;
- bsd: contains few restrictions on the use, alteration and redistribution of software;
- Public domain: software without copyright;
- semi-free: it is not free but it allows to be used by other users;
- freeware: used for programs that can be redistributed but not modified;
- Commercial: developed by a company with the aim of generating profit;
- trials: paid version distributed for free for a while.
exist other types of licensewhich contain specific elements but take others that are part of those mentioned above.
The types of software contain all those applications and computer resources that make it possible from the moment you read this post from a device or computer, until you can apply automation in an industry and measure results immediately.
As part of entering the technological world and digital transformation, this knowledge is essential to understand how and why computer systems work as they do.
But, if you are still not satisfied with this reading and need to continue learning, our blog is full of valuable and interesting information that we are sure you will love.
If you want to continue learning, get to know the characteristics of the Saas (Software as a Service) business model. See you soon!